Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Satan the Stupid Criminal Lends Hand in Opponent's Victory

I was going to make this another "God Has What You Want" post, but it was starting to feel redundant because I feel like I would have to put that in the title of every post. You've heard of that God-shaped hole in us, right? We will always yearn for God and what He has for us until we realize He's the only One who can fill that hole, and we let Him do it. There is a deeper longing to every single want we have, and I believe it was by His design that He, and only He, can fill that emptiness in us. So I'm done adding that to the posts. It's an unspoken thing now.

Now that that's out of the way, I read something in the Bible earlier that made me chuckle.

"The evening meal was being served, and the devil had already prompted Judas Iscariot, son of Simon, to betray Jesus." John 13: 2

The reason I chuckled is because I feel like this belongs on one of those shows about stupid criminals. You know, the ones who take a water gun to a robbery or show the bank teller their I.D. The ones who make silly mistakes to foil their own plans or get caught.

 
Let me say real quick that I don't usually talk about Satan. He's boring and isn't worth the time it takes to type or say anything. But this was a good chuckle for me, so...

I can't pretend to know for sure what Satan's motives were for prompting Judas to sell out Jesus. But motives matter. The way I see it, he would have been going for one of two things, and one of them doesn't make sense.

Option one: Satan wanted to help fulfill the prophesy in Psalm 41:9 that Jesus would be betrayed. He pieced together all the prophesies and wanted to help Jesus defeat him.

Option two: Satan knew squat about the prophesies or either didn't piece it together, and he wanted Judas to betray Jesus so Jesus would die, and Satan would win. He acted foolishly out of desperation.

Option one makes no sense because we know Satan's fatal flaw is his pride. He would never throw in the towel like that. So I'm thinking he was trying to off the only One who could defeat him.

 
But...Jesus needed to die so He could win, so He could defeat death and be raised. So He could offer eternal life to us, so He could give us His power, which makes us Victors over Satan who is now in an even sadder state than before. Whew!

And that's exactly what happened.

2 Timothy 1:10

Isaiah 25:8

1 Corinthians 15: 24-26

Hebrews 2:14

Romans 1:4

And that's just funny.

So whatever hard things we're going through, whatever ugly stuff we feel like we have to fight, let's remember that the most important battle was already won for us, and we're Victors because of it. And there's always something to laugh about.

  

  






 

No comments:

Post a Comment