Saturday, September 17, 2016

Pregnancy Cravings Birthed My Love for Football

Okay, love is a strong word. So is football. I guess I should have titled this blog post, "I Can Enjoy a Lion's Game (and only a Lion's Game) because of Pumpkin Pie One Time." But that's not a great title, so...

This post is a little fluffier than most of my posts, but fall gets me all nostalgic, and since football is on and the mornings are cool and crisp, I'm in that mood.

Before I craved The Pumpkin Pie, I tried to watch football with my husband. I really did. I wanted to spend time with him doing something he enjoys so much. But no matter how many times I tried, my eyes glazed over and, about ten minutes in, I was asleep on the couch. I'm sorry. I blame the commentators. I mean, whyyyy do they have to drone on talk like that? You can't talk football in your normal voice? Listen and learn. Ahem. "Blah blah incomplete pass blah blah blah Lion's intercept blah blah TOUCHDOWN!" See? It's not so hard.


Anyway. Almost a year ago, everything changed one beautiful fall day. I was just over twenty weeks pregnant with our little boy. And the pregnancy cravings were real. After church, we hunkered down in the living room for the Lion's game, like every Sunday for all of eternity football season. The pregnancy cravings struck. Pumpkin pie. I mentioned it a billion and twelve times, and finally, my husband said, "Tell you what. If the Lion's win this game, we'll go get you a pumpkin pie."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's the moment I suddenly saw the game for the fun competition it is. I can't remember what team we were up against, but let's say it was the Hawaiin Tiki Lizards. Just for funsies. This game was no longer Detroit Lions vs Hawaiin Tiki Lizards. This game was Pumpkin Pie vs Hawaiin Tiki Lizards.

I got so into the game. I asked a few questions so I could legitimately follow what was happening. I yelled. I cheered. I gave the best trash talk you've ever heard. (My husband makes fun of my trash talk because, apparently, it's not very menacing to say, "Ahhh, I'm going to take you out! For dinner!" Those were my actual words. And still my most used trash talk line. I don't know, okay?)

The game was a close one. Down to the last minutes, I wasn't sure if I was going to get my pumpkin pie. And I needed it. Then finally...the touchdown of my life! LIONS! Pumpkin pie! And I went wild.

The Lion's had a winning streak, which I came to believe meant that I was their lucky charm because...duh. Of course. And then someone pointed out something even better. I wasn't the lucky charm; our boy was. Yes! Because of the pregnancy, I had the craving, and another Lion's fan was born. So really, this is a gift from our boy. From both of my guys.

Now instead of snoozing on the couch, I'm in the action with my guys, enjoying America's favorite fall sport. We'll have to wait and see if Maverick becomes a fan, but for now, you'll find the three of us cheering (and babbling) for the Lions every time they play. After our bountiful victories, we just might celebrate with a slice of pumpkin pie.



Want more content about crunchy momming with faith, gentleness, and boobs? Check out Her Arms Are Strong on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment