Saturday, December 10, 2016

Why Santa Won't Visit Our House

There are so many wonderful ways to celebrate Christmas, and whatever your family does is cool for your family. Whether or not you include Santa Claus. But for our family, here are 4 reasons Santa won't be shimmying down our chimney. (And it's not just because we don't have a chimney.)


1. Santa's gifts are conditional.

"He's making a list, checking it twice, gonna find out who's naughty or nice..." If a child has been good, they get a gift. If not, they get coal. Not only is that totally unfair because part of learning and growing is making mistakes (another post all on its own), but we don't want Christmas gifts to be conditional. We celebrate Christmas because of the biggest gift of grace ever given. Jesus is a gift to the "good" girls and boys and the "bad" girls and boys. So our Christmas gifts will have nothing to do with behavior and everything to do with graceful giving and love.

2. We'd rather teach the miracle of Jesus.

I can hear someone out there saying, "But what about the magic of Christmas?" I don't need my kid, M, to believe Santa will visit every child in the world in one night via flying reindeer and sleigh in order for Christmas to feel magical. One, I don't believe in Santa, and all it takes for me to get that magical feeling is to slow down and enjoy snow, lights, music, and family. Two, the story of the birth of Jesus is miraculous! A baby born of a virgin to be the Savor of the world? "Magical" and true.

3. We want to be honest with our kids.

If M finds out the jolly Santa Claus is a myth, maybe we're lying about Jesus too, right? We don't want some silly white lie to jeopardize trust, especially when it comes to Jesus. Because He's a pretty big deal. Plus, we just want to always be (age appropriately) honest with M.

4. We don't want to share credit.

In the words of my husband, "I want [M] to know I worked hard and bought him those presents because I love him." Not much I can add to that other than that I agree.


Just because Santa won't put presents under our tree doesn't mean we'll ignore him. Check out these 4 truths we'll teach our kid about Santa.

Does Santa visit your family? I'd love to hear why or why not!


Related post: 4 Truths We'll Teach Our Kid about Santa

No comments:

Post a Comment